Gold is totally safe when ingested. It is anallergenic, neutral in taste and chemically inert.
The Eurpean Union and the United States authorize its use as a food additive, under the code E 175. Edible gold is a current trend in luxury restauration, Cocktail Bars as well as with pastry-chefs and chocolatiers.
With the help of this accessory, you can decorate the edge of the glass only in two movements, being sugar icing (vermouth), salt (Margarita) or even chocolate topping with peanuts (eg coffee specialties)